Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Sheep, sheepdog, or . . . porcupine?

The idea of sheep, sheepdogs, and wolves describing most of us has been advanced by Lt. Col Dave Grossman:
The sheep are the everyday citizens who go about their business clueless to what's happening around them.
The wolves are the human predators who prey on these sheep.
The sheepdogs are the ones who protect the sheep.

Then, there are the armed citizens who realize that the sheepdogs are not always nearby, and may have to fend of attacks by the wolves. I have not known of a good descriptive name for these, until this week.

This Sunday I heard a caller, Rex, on Tom Gresham's Guntalk describe himself as a porcupine. His statement went something like this, "I'm kind of a porcupine, you know ..., I just amble along,..., I don't feel a responsibility to protect someone who won't protect themselves,...., but you don't want to mess with me..."

Tom says, "I like it."

So do I!

What do you think?

-----------------------------------
-----------------------------------
If you find this article to be informative or interesting, please share the link with your friends. Feel free to share the entire article, including this link back: http://goodhillpress.blogspot.com/
-----------------------------------

Disclaimer: The information and ideas presented in this column are provided for informational purposes only. Gun rights, like all other Constitutionally recognized rights, must be exercised responsibly. Firearms, like cars, kitchen knives and life itself all can be dangerous. You should get professional training as part of any plan to use firearms for any purpose. I have made a reasonable, good-faith effort to assure that the content of this column is accurate. I have no control over what you do, and specifically accept no responsibility for anything you do as a result of reading my columns. Any action or lack of action on your part is strictly your responsibility.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like it, but this idea is already being used by the Free Statepeople.....they have a "porkie" logo

www.freestateproject.org

Chris said...

I dunno, I think I'm too accustomed to thinking of porcupines as "survival food" to want to be one!